New format for database images (JPGs)

hitormiss wrote on January 8, 2017

Thank you to everyone who has uploaded images (covers, back covers, etc) for releases in the database.

We've been storing images as PNG files for a while and the total size of the images had grown to 28GB. Yes, let me repeat that -- 28GB of images. That meant that we were very close to running out of space to store additional images.

So, I'm working on converting all of the images to high quality JPGs to save space. After running a bunch of tests, it appears that it should not degrade the quality of images already uploaded.

From now on, whatever type of image you upload will be converted to a 92% quality JPG.

TXTyler wrote on February 2, 2020

I'm so late to the party on this. I've been trying to upload some images for years that seem to be too big or the wrong format. I apologize profusely for adding all the bum images. I'll make sure to convert them to .jpg before uploading.

sdrival wrote on February 4, 2020

I try to upload higher quality images when I find them. There are some that simply don't seem to exist like the Wichita cast recording of Honk! I've always hoped someone would upload a higher resolution scan of that cover art.

DanG1991 wrote on February 5, 2020

I was watching for the Wichita Cast of Honk on Amazon, and at one point they had a reasonably priced copy. I checked recently and all the copies are now over $45. hmm

ciao wrote on June 10, 2021

Is it possible to support uploading of .webp format?

Archivist wrote on August 2, 2023

Images must be less than 1 MB in total file size (pixel dimensions don't seem to matter). Over 1 MB and you get the dreaded gray NO IMAGE icon that I am not yet empowered to delete.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.